[wp-hackers] Forget Commenter's Info

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Fri Oct 15 06:13:53 UTC 2004

Michael Leuchtenburg wrote:

>It probably is the standard because it makes sense. After all, if you
>don't want it to remember you, you just don't check it - you click zero
>times. If you want it to remember you, you check it - once. You click
>one time.
>
>If it's checked by default, then you have to click zero times if you
>want to have it remember you, but once per post if you do not. Also, if
>you forget to uncheck it once, there may be no going back short of
>telling your web browser to delete the cookie, while if you accidentally
>leave it unchecked once, you just have to enter your information again.
>
>Having it default to unchecked is definitely less annoying to users in
>the aggregate.

Well, logging out deletes the cookie, but yeah, I agree with your
point.  If you want it to remember you, and the default is "unchecked,"
you check it once and you're done.  If the default is "checked" you have
to uncheck it every single time if you don't want it to remember you.  0
clicks / 1 click beats 0 clicks / unlimited clicks