[wp-hackers] Forget Commenter's Info

Tara Star tellme at climbtothestars.org
Fri Oct 15 06:33:27 UTC 2004

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> Michael Leuchtenburg wrote:
>
>> It probably is the standard because it makes sense. After all, if you
>> don't want it to remember you, you just don't check it - you click zero
>> times. If you want it to remember you, you check it - once. You click
>> one time.
>>
>> If it's checked by default, then you have to click zero times if you
>> want to have it remember you, but once per post if you do not. Also, if
>> you forget to uncheck it once, there may be no going back short of
>> telling your web browser to delete the cookie, while if you accidentally
>> leave it unchecked once, you just have to enter your information again.
>>
>> Having it default to unchecked is definitely less annoying to users in
>> the aggregate.
>>
> Well, logging out deletes the cookie, but yeah, I agree with your
> point.  If you want it to remember you, and the default is "unchecked,"
> you check it once and you're done.  If the default is "checked" you have
> to uncheck it every single time if you don't want it to remember you.  0
> clicks / 1 click beats 0 clicks / unlimited clicks

and also: assume the person mistakenly goes on the path of least effort
-- then what is potentially more damageable:

a) not asking to be remembered when you wanted to be remembered?
b) not asking to be forgotten when you wanted to be forgotten?

Clearly, b) is more damageable. => default to "no remember" is a good
choice.

Steph
--
http://climbtothestars.org/