[wp-hackers] Forget Commenter's Info

Michael Leuchtenburg michael at slashhome.org
Fri Oct 15 04:39:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 12:30:41AM -0400, Mark Jaquith wrote:
> You've swayed me.  I say handle it the way MT handles (or... handled, at
> least) it.  By default, "remember me" is unchecked.  If the user wants
> their login saved, they check the "remember me" box before logging in.
> That's a pretty universal way of doing it on the web, and one I think
> people are used to.

It probably is the standard because it makes sense. After all, if you
don't want it to remember you, you just don't check it - you click zero
times. If you want it to remember you, you check it - once. You click
one time.

If it's checked by default, then you have to click zero times if you
want to have it remember you, but once per post if you do not. Also, if
you forget to uncheck it once, there may be no going back short of
telling your web browser to delete the cookie, while if you accidentally
leave it unchecked once, you just have to enter your information again.

Having it default to unchecked is definitely less annoying to users in
the aggregate.

--
Michael Leuchtenburg  |  http://slashhome.org/
cell: 413.433.0739