[wp-hackers] RSS Not so good: Revisiting Multiple Blogs on One Site

Meitar Moscovitz meitar at maymay.net
Fri Oct 1 02:04:28 UTC 2004

Advance apologies for the many successive postings.

I just realized why using an RSS feed (though incredibly useful for
some purposes) won't work in my situation, which is why I started
developing the multiple-WordPress-blogs class in the first place:

There is no way to easily get an entire blog's archives from an RSS
feed. It could of course technically be done by either generating a
huge feed, or by requesting a specific time-based feed, but afaik
WordPress can't do that. There are also other complications. Grabbing a
feed hits the server, and in this case both blogs I'm grabbing plus the
site I'm making are on the same server. Getting the data from the
database itself would be far more efficient, and its not susceptible to
HTTP errors in getting the feed, nor to errors in parsing the feed. So,
I'm going to go with the reliable database methods, and would still
like to know if others are doing anything similar.

I really should have picked up on this earlier, but it's been a really
long day (up at 3AM,  running on a blend of French Vanilla.  :).

/*
* Meitar Moscovitz
* <De-Coder />
* http://www.maymay.net/ (Personal)