[wp-hackers] Nightly build generation

Michael Leuchtenburg michael at slashhome.org
Tue Nov 30 04:09:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 08:58:28PM -0700, Kitty wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 19:33, Robert Deaton wrote:
> > Why not just have the cron job check a copy out of anonymous CVS and
>
> CVS export, that way the CVSROOT dirs aren't included.
>
> > tar/zip it up and move it to the proper directory. You might even host
> > the nightlies directory off of the main wordpress server (if the main
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # not tested, just off the top of my head:
> # assumes dirs in place, CVS login works, scp working
> BUILD_DATE=date '+%Y-%m-%d'
> cd /tmp/build-nightly && rm -rf *; # don't want to rm unless in dir
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/cafelog export
> wordpress
> tar -czf wordpress-$BUILD_DATE.tar.gz wordpress/
> zip -r wordpress-$BUILD_DATE wordpress/
> echo "$BUILD_DATE nightly created" | mail -s "Nightly build status
> report" matt at example.com
> scp wordpress-.* admin at wordpress.org:/nightly/

You probably should capture the output of cvs, tar, and zip, and send
them along if any of them returns an error. It'd be annoying to discover
that the past week's nightlies hadn't been created because of some silly
error that hadn't ben noticed because the script was saying "Nightly
created" even though it really hadn't been.

Maybe just give the appropriate arguments to all programs so as to
generate no output unless there is an error and then run it from cron,
thus receiving the output if there's an error and nothing if it
functions correctly.

--
Michael Leuchtenburg  |  http://slashhome.org/
cell: 413.433.0739