[wp-hackers] Slowness in posting/editing in 1.3a4

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Thu Nov 25 15:02:41 UTC 2004

Raena Armitage wrote:

>> Is anyone else having problems when editing posts? My admin slows to
>> a crawl the minute I press publish, and it stays there for a looong
>> time.
>

> I've noticed this too, and Ryan's suggestion about turning off the
> option to automatically pingback doesn't seem to help.  Sometimes it's
> fine.

I've had this problem in 1.3, and my first thought after pingbacks for a
culprit was enclosures.  I'm sure that I'm totally off-base in pointing
the finger at it, but it does fundamentally the same thing as pingback
with a little extra work to check the content type and store the
enclosure data.  A nice little checkbox on the post form labeled "Detect
enclosures" could avoid this problem.

Of course, this only applies to 1.3 and posts that link to external
things, and is probably all in my imagination.

Owen