[wp-hackers] Combined template editor

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 11:46:17 UTC 2004

How about creating WP specific tags with an even higher level of error
checking. By WP specific tags, I mean tags like <wp:header> and
<wp:footer> or something along those lines.

A while back I had a template creator where almost every aspect of the
site could be written in my own little set of specific tags, including
starting and ending the loop, links to comments templates, post
titles, post contents, pages, links, calender, and about anything you
could think of that came with WP. Then I could click the generate
template file, and it would write out an index.php that was generated
from that file (the index.php from the template file was not generated
on the fly, but the WP content was generated as usual, in my case with
staticize).

Comments?

On Tue,  2 Nov 2004 20:04:07 -0800, ddaulton at ursastudios.com
<ddaulton at ursastudios.com> wrote:
> Matt,
>
> This sounds really good.  Giving the average user the ability to create a
> complete HTML template and then upload it as one file is a great boon for folks
> with design skills but no real understanding of PHP.
>
> That said, I see one potential problem.  I assume the comment tags are meant
> mark the beginning/end of a file to be created by the back end.  Some less tech
> savvy users will not understand this.  So, there will need to be an error
> checker that throws back a specific error message (perhaps with a link to an
> explanatory FAQ) to the user if the comments are not present or ill-formated.
> Else, we'll get a lot of push back.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> Doug
>

> Quoting Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com>:
>
> > What if on the backend we transparently included the proper header and
> > footer files when editing through the WP interface. For example, a
> > template like:
> >
> > <?php include header ?>
> > content stuff...
> > <?php include footer ?>
> >
> > Could be changed to
> >
> > <head>
> > <!-- end wp-header.php -->
> > ...content stuff
> > <!-- begin wp-footer.php -->
> >
> > When we edit it. On save we can write it out to the three separete files
> > again. It could be completely transparant to most users that things are
> > in different files.
> >
> > Thoughts? Code?
> >
> > --
> > Matt Mullenweg
> > http://photomatt.net  | http://wordpress.org
> > http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com

--Robert Deaton
http://false-hopes.com/
A proud Linux, Firefox, and WordPress user.
Linux is not an operating system, its a way of life.