[wp-hackers] Offical Plugins, repository, and extending WordPress

Tor Bjornrud bjornrud at msu.edu
Sun Jun 27 17:58:37 UTC 2004

On Jun 25, 2004, at 2:49 PM, scriptygoddess wrote:

> "The code will live on wp.org and feature prominent links to the
> authors."
>
> I can't say this appeals to me very much. I like having easy access to
> my code. I wouldn't want it to live on someone else's server.
>
> If that means I'll never be able to create a "WP approved" plugin and
> anything I'll create will be relegated to the "and some other plugins"
> page, so be it, I guess... but I think that's unfortunate, just
> because I want to host it myself.

Well, Jenn, my understanding is that since WordPress is GPL'd, there is
no compatible license that could prevent others from redistribution.
In effect, if you did host it on your site, there's nothing you could
do to control the dissemination
of your code across the Internet.  If WP wants to "certify" your
plugin, and host it on their site, that's their business.  That said,
there's nothing to preclude you from hosting that code on your site and
having the "easy access" you say you like.

--
Tor Bjornrud
http://brainscat.com