[wp-hackers] Offical Plugins, repository, and extending WordPress

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 20:34:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:02:18 -0500, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:

> On wordpress.org there will be an official repository of "approved"
> plugins and styles. I began work on this page a while ago and showed some
> of you but I haven't really done much with it since then.

I wasn't talking about a official plugin list at all, Matt. I was
talking about the idea of caching
all the plugin files in one central location, and also having a
website with a listing of all existing plugins (without any guarantees
as to their quality or performance). I was thinking of using the right
cms to do this, with ratings, downloads, comments and whatever else is
required.  Since it turns out that almost all plugins seem to have to
be GPL as well, I guess it is a feasible idea.

> http://wordpress.org/extend/ (obviously it doesn't work)
>
> This will only contain plugins and styles that have the WP stamp of
> approval, meaning they comply to all the developer guidelines, use best
> practices, are web standards compliant, etc etc. The code will live on
> wp.org and feature prominent links to the authors.

This will certainly be a useful addition.

> That page will also link to the unofficial repository, a better gardened
> wiki page,

I think organizing the plugins, and searching for existing plugins
will be a problem. The search tool on the wiki is not the most
optimal. You also have to take into account the reluctance of some
people to edit wiki pages, which, of course can be circumvented by
having gardeners with email ids, or using a submission form or
something, with the responsible gardeners updating the list. A wiki
page can possibly be a list, but can it show "Recently updated
plugins", and "Most popular plugins" or a bunch of other things. In my
opinion it is a question of finding and using the right tool for the
job.

> There are some structure things that need to go in place before this
> happens, notably that I need to finish moving wp.org to the CMS system
> I've been working on. This will allow the site to work like an
> authenticated wiki, with different users having access to different parts
> of the site, while still maintaining the current "real website" look.

I really look forward to this :)

> --
> Matt Mullenweg
>   http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
> http://pingomatic.com | more soon...

When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net