[wp-hackers] Offical Plugins, repository, and extending WordPress

John Watson john at watson-net.com
Sat Jun 26 02:14:04 UTC 2004

I think you've hit the nail on the head here.  I think it's important to
realize that there are probably (forgive me for the false dichotomy) two
groups of users out there: a group who wants to just get a plugin for
their blog software and doesn't really care about any of the development
or open source or any of the stuff we are talking about right now; and
then there's everyone else.  I bet MOST people who use Wordpress fall
into the first group.  I think the ease with which Wordpress installs
ENCOURAGES those kinds of users -- let's face it, if it's hard to
install, neophytes aren't going to use it.  And honestly, we want as
many users as possible because it makes us feel good that our software
is helping people be creative and express themselves, right?  :-)

I think it's important that we have a central plugin repository that is
reliable and guaranteed to be around for as long as Wordpress is.  The
only way to do that is for Wordpress to host the site and the
downloads.  I think it is also important that the typical user's
experience with Wordpress is a good one, which means that if he
downloads a plugin from the official repository he should have a
reasonable expectation that it will do what it was intended to do.  The
only way to ensure that is for someone to volunteer to check plugins
that authors submit to the official repository before adding them to the
repository (the check could be as simple as install and make sure it
doesn't break WP).  And I also think that it is important that we
support the entire community of plugin developers and to do that we need
a place (a wiki page, for example) where authors who don't want to host
their plugins in the official repository can let users know where to go
to get them.