[wp-hackers] Offical Plugins, repository, and extending WordPress

scriptygoddess scriptygoddess at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 01:11:53 UTC 2004

"Is this because you don't trust wordpress.org, you want to be able to find
it easily in a pinch, or it'd be too much trouble to keep it updated in
two places?"

Not because of trust - more along the lines of what someone else wrote
in a different thread (forgive me for forgetting who - there's been a
lot of back and forth on this subject) - I want them to come to my
site, see my stuff - if/when I decide to put a paypal link back on my
site - I want it to be seen. A "prominent link" to the author's web
page won't suffice. If it were me as the user, and I could download
all my plugins in one place - I probably wouldn't even visit the
authors site. Why should I? Maybe if I had free time to wander around
and surf.

I know my work is appreciated by the number of comments and visitors I
get. If no one is coming to my site to download my stuff, then I have
no access to that.

As well - if I see a small problem, I only need to get it from my
server - and upload it back up with a note in the post. I would not
want the hassle of having to send out multiple updates to my site as
well as a wp site and hope they update it with the bug fix soon - etc.

AS WELL - I would want feedback on the plugin, comments on how to
improve it, comments on bugs, etc.  noted on a site I controlled and
had easy access to.

Perfect example - One of my plugins (I'm not even sure which one) that
I had ORIGINALLY hosted on the wiki - someone changed the page to note
that it crashed if you used a different charset. I don't know who - I
have no way of interacting with this person to find out the details
and fix the problem. I realize YOU might be able to - but it would not
be easy for me to do. When people come and post bugs in the comments,
I almost always respond. (I usually stop supporting plugins/hacks that
have been out there for quite some time and have been proved to work
and where I suspect that it's "user error" that's the problem.

All I can tell you is that, in order for this to work, it needs to be
easy - and something everyone can agree to. At the moment, I'm not
thrilled with the wiki but am posting signifcant plugins there as I
go. However, that page is going to be impossible to find anything on
in a matter of months. It's almost there now.

Personally, a central HOSTING location doesn't work for me.

While I have serious issues with MT, etc., I did think the
mt-plugins.org site was well done. Finding plugins was easy. Agreed
that it put a huge burden on the author to update the pages - and
there was a serious lag - but still, both as a developer and a user,
it worked for me.

All this aside - I will admit I may be in the minority here - and if
so - then I'll continue to "do my thing" and fit it in where it's at
my comfort level. But I guess I just don't want to be "bullied" into
doing something that doesn't feel right to me just to have an
"approved" stamp on my forehead.

-Jenn