[wp-hackers] Plugin Site

John Watson johnw1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 22:42:05 UTC 2004

Although the GPL says that anyone can distribute GPL code, it could be
a guideline of the wp plugins site that only the author of a plugin
can submit a plugin to the repository.  Then, if an author doesn't
want to participate, his plugin won't be listed -- simple courtesy.
If the need is sufficiently great, someone else will either create a
competing plugin or re-use the original plugin's GPL'ed source and add
it to the repository.

I think the thing to remember is that wp-hackers is a small subset of
wp-users and wp-users don't care about any of this -- they just want
their plugins -- and as developers we should focus on the user's
needs, not our own.

A central repository that is easy for users to use and find what they
need without any hangups is in-line with the philosophy of the
wordpress project.  From the About section of wordpress.org: "We hope
by focusing on web standards and user experience we can create a tool
different from anything else out there."