[wp-hackers] Plugin Site

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Fri Jul 16 19:49:47 UTC 2004

> Look through the archives, this was well discussed.

Not everyone's opinon was heard, and now that there is a serious bid for
this role others might speak up.

It's presumptuous to think that when you write and publish code under
GPL that you have any say over distribution of the work.  That's most of
the point of the GPL after all, isn't it?  If the terms of the license
don't suit you, then don't release under that license.

I don't care if someone hosts my plugins elsewhere, assuming they abide
by the published license, which is not difficult.

Can't we obviate this argument by including both a prominent link to the
current code on the author's site AND a subordinate link to a working
mirror?

Leave it up to the individual author whether their code is hosted or
not.  If the site provides an optional way to detect whether the
currently archived code is stale (and update it), all the better.

Owen