[wp-hackers] Search Permalinks

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Aug 18 22:15:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 16:36 -0500, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Alex King wrote:
>
> > I'd suggested this to Matt previously and after those discussions I was
> > under the impression we didn't want to support this type of
> > functionality. Matt?
>
> Well it's questionable if searches should have "permalinks" that look like
> files. The only search engine I know of that does this is a9.com.

Call it cruft-free, human-readable goodness then.  /search/term/feed is
more discoverable and readable than index.php?s=term?feed=rss2.

> On the other hand the only searches that would be indexed are searches
> that people link to, effectively creating ad-hoc categories. I dunno.
>
> For bonus points, can search be made to work like /feed and /page do?
> Could we say:
>
> http://example.com/category/main/sub-category/page/2/search/search's
> term?/feed

We could.  Allowing search, page, and feed to be put in any order would
take some extra work.  We could easily do appends for all "permalinks"
of the form ".../search/xxx/page/2" and ".../search/xxx/feed".  We don't
currently do feeds for pages, but that could be added too.

> I think we need to move away from the specialized mod_rewrite rules and
> just do our own URI pre-processing. The same methods could be used for 404
> handling, path_info, and mod_rewrite if the URI was just gulped up.

Yep.

Ryan