[wp-hackers] Search Permalinks

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed Aug 18 21:36:26 UTC 2004

Alex King wrote:

> I'd suggested this to Matt previously and after those discussions I was
> under the impression we didn't want to support this type of
> functionality. Matt?

Well it's questionable if searches should have "permalinks" that look like
files. The only search engine I know of that does this is a9.com.

On the other hand the only searches that would be indexed are searches
that people link to, effectively creating ad-hoc categories. I dunno.

For bonus points, can search be made to work like /feed and /page do?
Could we say:

http://example.com/category/main/sub-category/page/2/search/search's
term?/feed

I think we need to move away from the specialized mod_rewrite rules and
just do our own URI pre-processing. The same methods could be used for 404
handling, path_info, and mod_rewrite if the URI was just gulped up.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | more soon...