[wp-hackers] WP Plugin Update Detect

Ryan Meyers ryan at ryanmeyers.com
Wed Aug 4 15:42:35 UTC 2004

I just realized that these replies went to the individuals and not the
list...

Stephen:
A person could diable updates by removing the Update:
path.to/plugin-update.php line from the plugin source...  If they didn't
want any to update, they could remove the code that they added
themselves...

As for page load times, there shouldn't be much of an issue.  The update
fetched for my cutter plugin weighs in at a whopping 4 bytes.  If the
file doesn't exist or fails to load, it displays everything normally on
the plugins.php page

Amit:
what you suggest is pretty much exactly what it does, minus the
xml-parsing.  it  queries a file that is a matter of single-digit bytes
large...  This may be a problem, but I don't believe so...

The best solution is a single place for authors to post plugins and
their updates (see
http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/?application=firefox)  Then it
would be simpler to ensure a steady database...

Kitty:
Oh and as for copyright  license...  Creative Commons, I suppose.  Feel
very free to improve upon and redistrubte as long as my name and website
stays in the source...