[bbDev] [962] trunk: Add actual GPL license (COPYING file) and contributor acknowledgement and copyright (README file).

Jeremy Visser jeremy.visser at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 23:14:23 GMT 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 6:20 AM, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> In WordPress we try not to do things that are hostile to people who run
> mainstream operating systems, like have files without extensions. I also
> think it's rude to have the files YELLING.

I disagree. You double-click on COPYING, tick "Select a program",
double-click on WordPad in the list, and it's open. It's quite
intuitive.

I would say that the thing more hostile than no extensions on files is
the fact that we use Unix line-endings (LF, not CRLF). Most people
open text files in Notepad by instinct, and and WordPress or bbPress
files would appear as garbage, as the linebreaks would not show up
properly. (I'm not suggesting we change this, though.)

> Finally SVN serves as a contributor list, as hopefully that list will
> include hundreds and hundreds of people in the future. I personally do
> not want my name distributed with the software --- it belongs to the
> community.
>
> It'd probably be good to follow those conventions in bbPress as well.

Same thing with Wikipedia. To comply with the GFDL, they simply use
the "History" tab as their "changelog".