[bbDev] Custom permalinks patch

Michael D Adams mikea at turbonet.com
Wed Mar 7 07:25:36 GMT 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Sam Bauers wrote:
> On 07/03/2007, at 6:07 AM, Michael D Adams wrote:
>
>> I think, though, that we don't need a huge amount flexibility or
>> customizability.  We could offer people just a few choices:
>>
>> Your permalinks should look like:
>>
>> http://example.com/topic.php?id=1
>> http://example.com/topic/1
>> http://example.com/topic/pretty-permalinks-are-nice
>
> That's a lot easier, in fact we could probably keep the multiviews
> support that way too. It's just a matter of how the slugs are
> interpreted/configured. Would you be happy to include a slug column
> in the tables? Should that slug be customisable like in WordPress?

We can definitely add slug columns to topics and forums.  They can be
populated with data that looks like sanitize_with_dashes( title ).
We'll need to avoid making duplicates, of course :)

Let's not make them customizable (they can go through a filter,
though).  And let's not change them if the topic title changes.  If
needs arise, we can worry about that later.

Cheers,
Michael