[bbDev] WP user integration works, but...

Max Roeleveld max at doenietzomoeilijk.nl
Sat Aug 12 13:44:28 GMT 2006

Hi folks,

I mainly joined the list in search for BBPress / WordPress
integration. So far, I've got to the point where BBPress uses my
wp_user(s|meta) tables, but I ran into these issues:

- Users
I had to create a BBPress plugin to update my WP tables, so that WP
would actually allow the new users to login and such. More
specifically, I updated wp_users to fill the user_nicename and
display_name fields, and I inserted the wp_user_level and
wp_capabilities records to wp_usermeta. This results in a WP
subscriber-type user that can log in and have his name displayed
properly.

Is this really needed or did I screw up somewhere? If it IS needed,
why isn't there a pre-cooked plugin for BBPress yet? =]
Would people be interested in such a plugin?

- WP functions and plugins
I'd really like to be able to use WP functions (and building on that,
themes), but if I include wp-config.php I get errors, stating that
certain functions are already defined, etc. Simply put: there seem to
be namespace conflicts.

Is that right, or have I (again) screwed stuff up? If I *am* right,
is there a simple way to get around these issues? AFAIK, you can't
just include certain parts of WP, since pretty much everything
depends on something else, and WP will include all kinds of things
anyway.

It's not that I really mind having the theme in two places, but it
would be nice if I could stick with one. Also, since the table name
"wp_users" isn't fixed (people can change the prefix), creating a
BBPress plugin that keeps the WP tables updated requires manual
tinkering. I'd love to do without, especially if I were to replace it
to the public at large.

- Pretty URLs not working?

If I set $bb->mod_rewrite = true, it doesn't seem to work. That is,
BBPress will happily generate the pretty URLs, but it fails to
interpret them, it seems to miss all parameters. So, for example,
"http://mydomain/forum/topic/4" will lead to "Topic not found.".
AFAIK, mod_rewrite (the Apache one) is set up properly, and the WP
install *can* have pretty URLs.
I'll investigate further -- maybe it's just on my machine -- but any
input would be welcome.

Best regards,

Max