[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54088: Uploading media containing Norwegian letter å does not automatically readjust it to become aa.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 28 03:32:55 UTC 2023

#54088: Uploading media containing Norwegian letter å does not automatically
readjust it to become aa.
---------------------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  paaljoachim                            |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)                           |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by peterwilsoncc):

 I'm able to reproduce locally on trunk 6.2-beta3-55400-src.

 Media handling config (summary of site health report):

 * **Active editor**:    WP_Image_Editor_GD
 * **GD version**:       2.3.3
 * **GD supported file formats**:        GIF, JPEG, PNG, WebP, BMP, XPM
 * **Ghostscript, ImageMagick**: not available

 Media Page

 1. Visit Admin > Media
 1. Drag image named `håmilton.jpg` in to window
 1. Image remains `håmilton.jpg` and the resized images also use the
 letter `å`.

 Block Editor

 1. Create new post
 1. Drag image name `håmilton.jpg` in to block editor
 1. New block created, saves image and the resized images with the letter
 `å`

 Block editor two

 1. Create new post
 1. Add image block.
 1. Click media library
 1. Drag image in to media libray, select once uploaded
 1. New block complete, saves image and the resized images with the letter
 `å`

 ----

 It seems the issue in the initial report is the inconsistency with how
 WordPress handles non-ascii characters. `æ` and `ø` are converted to ascii
 while `å` is not. I understand why this is not optimal.

 What I am wondering is, is there any technical limitation introduced by
 retaining the letter `å` in the file name? Specifically, is it common that
 browsers or servers are unable to load the image as a result?

 Please excuse any ignorance as I am a monolingual English speaker.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54088#comment:51>