[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57648: Major performance regression in `wp_enqueue_global_styles()` for classic themes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 7 20:59:15 UTC 2023

#57648: Major performance regression in `wp_enqueue_global_styles()` for classic
themes
--------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  flixos90      |       Owner:  (none)
Changes (by flixos90):

 * priority:  normal => high
 * version:   => trunk

Comment:

 (re-adding the accidentally modified workflow annotations here)

 @oandregal Both of these approaches have their benefits. Measuring TTFB is
 probably closer to real-world impact in theory, but it is at a higher
 level and I believe therefore is subject to higher variance than specific
 server timing metrics.

 Needless to say, our numbers are extremely different; for example I find
 your TTFB numbers overall surprisingly low, so I'd be curious if you could
 provide more detail in what environment you got those numbers, what
 tooling you used etc.

 The average TTFB in the field is often worse than 800ms according to e.g.
 https://lookerstudio.google.com/c/u/0/reporting/55bc8fad-44c2-4280-aa0b-
 5f3f0cd3d2be/page/M6ZPC (800ms is the threshold above which the TTFB
 assessment is considered "failed"), and while it is expected that lab
 results are much better, seeing numbers far lower than 100ms in your data
 consistently makes me wonder what they are based on.

 Anyway, the most important question here is probably why I am seeing this
 regression in my data and you are not. It's certainly possible something
 was somehow misconfigured in my environment, so I'll give this another
 test now that Beta 1 is available. Let's keep following up on this - of
 course it would be nice if my data was just wrong :) But if it's not, we
 need to profile further and find the underlying problem.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57648#comment:6>