[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #57648: Major performance regression in `wp_enqueue_global_styles()` for classic themes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 7 20:52:44 UTC 2023

#57648: Major performance regression in `wp_enqueue_global_styles()` for classic
themes
--------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  flixos90      |       Owner:  (none)
Changes (by flixos90):

 * priority:  high => normal
 * version:  trunk =>

Comment:

 @oandregal I have been using the approach from this Gist as a means to
 record Server-Timing metrics:
 https://gist.github.com/felixarntz/de5c697a1a16c2b892634b70216eb6c7

 Specifically to measure e.g. the `wp_enqueue_global_styles()` function, I
 add something like
 https://gist.github.com/felixarntz/de5c697a1a16c2b892634b70216eb6c7#file-
 example-php-L5 to the top of that function and something like
 https://gist.github.com/felixarntz/de5c697a1a16c2b892634b70216eb6c7#file-
 example-php-L17 (just calling it e.g. `enqueue-global-styles-*` instead)
 to the bottom of that function.

 I then used https://github.com/GoogleChromeLabs/wpp-research/tree/main/cli
 #benchmark-url to trigger 20 requests to my local WordPress development
 site's home page, which is configured with either latest `trunk` or latest
 `6.1` branch, plus the above tweak to include Server-Timing metrics.

 Let me know if you have further questions on the approach.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/57648#comment:5>