[wp-hackers] New Codex page on WordPress Optimization

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 18:49:44 GMT 2007

Hello,

You know... one thing that would be nice is if filters and action
hooks could pass along "freshness" data.

That way you could use for caching strategies.

So say for example... let's say you have a filter called 'the_label'.
And you call...

$label = apply_filters('the_label', $x);

And let's say $x has been the same since "2007-08-24 @ 11:02am".

Well... if there are no filters being applied, then $label should have
that same "freshness" date as $x.

However... if there are other filters... then they'd want to modified
that freshness data.

Let's say there is only one filter... and that filter is
"mathematically functional... i.e., it returns the exact same output
for the same input.

Then if you want to change the "freshness" date (of $label) to the max
of the "freshness"  date of $x and the activation date of the plugin
that filter is a part of.

This type of thing would be very useful in scaling.  (Especially for
people running big WordPress MU installs.)

See ya

On 9/4/07, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> Callum Macdonald wrote:
> > I've been doing some research on WordPress optimisation and I whipped up
> > a new page on the Codex:
> > http://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Optimization
>
> I would suggest going from biggest impact to smallest impact. Start with
> WP-Cache, get down to multiplier tweaks like a PHP accelerator and minor
> server stuff (query_cache), and end with front-end optimization, with a
> link to resources like:
>
> http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/
> http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/
>
> It's probably also worth watching and linking to Barry's presentation
> from WordCamp:
>
> http://onemansblog.com/2007/08/16/wordcamp-2007-hyperdb-and-high-performance-wordpress/
> http://barry.wordpress.com/2007/07/22/high-performance-wordpress/
>
> Finally, Lightpress is a separate project which is mostly-not-compatible
> with WordPress, I don't think it should be suggested as an optimization
> technique.
>
> --
> Matt Mullenweg
>   http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org