[wp-hackers] WPhone Admin plugin 1.3.1, aka "iPhone Contest Final Version"

Jared Bangs jared at pacific22.com
Mon Oct 22 06:01:06 GMT 2007

On 10/21/07, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
> Just a quick note to inform you of the final (pending any catastrophic
> bug reports) release of WPhone before the contest deadline (tomorrow).
>
> We're really psyched about this release, as it adds a lot to the work
> we've put into the past few versions.

Cool, yours is looking good.

Is anyone else in on this competition, or is it just our two plugins?
I haven't seen anything yet, but who knows...

Anyway, we also just submitted the latest revision for our entry in
the contest: the Mobile Admin plugin [1]

Here's a quick list (for the judges :-) ) of some of the competitive
advantages I feel we've got:

Leverages existing admin pages code, allowing for:
    *  WP features like auto-save to continue to function as normal
    *  Easier upgrade path in the future, as changes to the WP admin
code are less likely to break the plugin
    *  Beneficial changes (or bug fixes) to the WP admin code are
automatically incorporated
    *  While the most common features have custom styling, all admin
functions are still readily available

Compatibility with existing admin plugins without any modifications
(such as SEO, tag suggest, etc. plugins )

Extensibility:
    *  Large library of current (and future) WP admin plugins will
"just work" in the mobile UI, without rewriting or tweaking
    *  Built from the ground up around a plugin architecture.
    *  Object oriented design allows for easy customization and plugin
development while minimizing the amount of code that needs to be
written.
    *  iPhone support itself is a plugin, which can be easily altered
or used as an example for new plugins.

Ability to toggle the "mobile" view on and off, from any browser
(mobile or otherwise) without disabling the plugin or logging in/out,
and without requiring javascript to be enabled

Draws iPhone UI (and any other custom interfaces) without requiring
javascript to be enabled

First!!! (to release, that is) - just a little slashdot comment humor, there :-)

May the best plugin win!

- Jared

[1] http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mobileadmin/