[wp-hackers] Simplified Upgrade Process

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Wed Feb 1 19:00:42 GMT 2006

On Feb 1, 2006, at 1:53 PM, Scott johnson wrote:

> Whoa!  like that scares me and will, almost certainly, by definition
> break incoming links.  I use wordpress to power my blog site but I
> have other files I ftp up like my resume which I can't format well in
> WP (my fault not WP's).

Do you have these stored in /wp-admin/ or /wp-includes/ or in the WP
root?  You should probably move them to /wp-content/ .... anything in
WP root or /wp-admin/ or /wp-includes/ is considered fair game for
deletion when upgrading WordPress.

As for my method of upgrade... I have WordPress in /wordpress/ I load
up the new version of WordPress in /wordpress-upgrade/, then I just
open up a text editor and write a bunch of "rm" and "mv" commands,
excluding /index.php, /wp-config.php, and /wp-content/, and then
execute it.

That leaves a lot less downtime than you would get if you deleted
then FTP'd the stuff up there.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/