[wp-hackers] Simplified Upgrade Process

Sebastian Herp newsletter at scytheman.net
Wed Feb 1 22:45:15 GMT 2006

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> As for my method of upgrade... I have WordPress in /wordpress/ I load
> up the new version of WordPress in /wordpress-upgrade/, then I just
> open up a text editor and write a bunch of "rm" and "mv" commands,
> excluding /index.php, /wp-config.php, and /wp-content/, and then
> execute it.
>
> That leaves a lot less downtime than you would get if you deleted then
> FTP'd the stuff up there.

Hmm ... I am using Wordpress since version 1.0 and never had a problem
with just untargzipping the new release/nightly directly over my current
installation. Maybe we should just find the circumstances this will fail
and just fix that or detect it in upgrade.php. Don't make the process
more painful for the rest of us.
Setting permissions right, and letting an upgrade-script do the
downloading, unzipping, etc would be nice, but then I am out of the loop
and have no control over the upgrade (maybe the upgrade thing is broken
an wildly deletes files on my server ... I don't want that to happen).
The current way is easy enough. ssh user at host, wget new-archive.tar.gz,
tar -xzvf new-archive.tar.gz, open browser and call upgrade.php ... easy
enough :-)