Fwd: [wp-hackers] Theme and Plugin Integration

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 08:47:54 GMT 2005

On Apr 4, 2005 5:10 AM, Graeme Lennon <graeme at samurai.com> wrote:
> This may be a good idea for all sorts of reasons -- I haven't worked it
> all through in my head yet -- but I can't help but wonder, if you've got
> really good functionality in mind, why not make it a plugin to begin
> with? Then people who wanted the feature, but preferred to run another
> theme, could still have it.

That would be essentially what's happening. If we go with the
direction the thread has taken rather than with Robert Deaton's
initial intentions, then all we are discussing is a way to mark up
certain plugin dependencies for a theme (eg, theme X requires plugin
Y). That means if someone wanted to switch theme, they could just keep
the plugin and do so.

On the subject of giving plugin authors credit, how about doing this
within the admin section? So when a certain theme is activated, the
page displays a little box with 'This theme comes with these
plugins...' then a list of plugins with descriptions, links and
authors. Surely that'd be enough middle ground so that both plugin
developers would feel they're getting credit, and users don't have to
hop between websites with only a vague idea of what their trying to
download?

-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com