Fwd: [wp-hackers] Theme and Plugin Integration

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:28:22 GMT 2005

Well, to blow surprises out of the water, the theme I wanted this
functionality for was one that was going to be a completely customizable via
the admin interface, colors, sizes, images, everything. Obviously, this
isn't possible with only a theme, but I thought asking a user to do both was
a bit too much hassle. In the end, I think there are certain people here who
aren't going to drop the idea of bundling plugins, so at this point, I give
up, since I now realize that a lot of theme developers wouldn't give proper
credit or would make themes reliant on plugins..

On Apr 4, 2005 3:47 AM, David House <dmhouse at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2005 5:10 AM, Graeme Lennon <graeme at samurai.com> wrote:
> > This may be a good idea for all sorts of reasons -- I haven't worked it
> > all through in my head yet -- but I can't help but wonder, if you've got
> > really good functionality in mind, why not make it a plugin to begin
> > with? Then people who wanted the feature, but preferred to run another
> > theme, could still have it.
>
> That would be essentially what's happening. If we go with the
> direction the thread has taken rather than with Robert Deaton's
> initial intentions, then all we are discussing is a way to mark up
> certain plugin dependencies for a theme (eg, theme X requires plugin
> Y). That means if someone wanted to switch theme, they could just keep
> the plugin and do so.
>
> On the subject of giving plugin authors credit, how about doing this
> within the admin section? So when a certain theme is activated, the
> page displays a little box with 'This theme comes with these
> plugins...' then a list of plugins with descriptions, links and
> authors. Surely that'd be enough middle ground so that both plugin
> developers would feel they're getting credit, and users don't have to
> hop between websites with only a vague idea of what their trying to
> download?
>
> --
> -David House, dmhouse at gmail.com

--Robert Deaton