[wp-forums] Who can offer what

Vicki Frei vkaryl at localnet.com
Sun Mar 19 15:50:40 GMT 2006

On 3/19/2006 6:44:13 AM, Podz (podz at tamba2.org.uk) wrote:
> This is going to be discussed at some point, so why not now.
>
> I do not see any problem with forum mavens or mods offering services
> which may cost. That means that if a mod wants to offer their services
> to write a plugin, or to create a theme or for me to offer hosting I do
> not see anything wrong in that.
> My reasoning is:
> - that we would err on the side of caution anyway
> - that we have a 'reputation' to uphold
> - that I can't see why not
> There will be accusations of something from someone when this does
> happen but I genuinely cannot see a conflict given how the forums are
> managed.
>
> If someone posts with a clear "I want to pay money for this" then I
> think excluding mavens / mods from that work is actually a bad thing.
>
> P.

Agreed.  Since the structure is essentially amorphous (I forbear to say "free
for all" - oh, I didn't forbear after all, did I?), there's no reason to single
anyone out as "thou shalt nots".  Whether all of us (or any of us) take up a for
pay job shouldn't be in question - though of course you're right, we will hear it.

So what's the standard response going to be for that one when it happens?  "No
one is specifically or historically precluded from accepting work for pay
through posts on the forum"?