[wp-forums] Security and Accountability

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Sat Mar 4 22:24:38 GMT 2006

Podz wrote:
> There are many hosts with many setups and as such WordPress
> documentation cannot cater for all - so it approaches this by catering
> for none. It does this for the above reason and also for another - so WP
> cannot be blamed.
> The fault is pushed to the user.
> Yet no page at wordpress.org carries any advice on permissions.
> The readme.html with the package carries no advice on permissions.
> Codex carries no specific advice on permissions.

Two points.

1 - As I cannot find anything even close to a readable answer in my web
searching, I'm not answering any permissions issues again. I encourage
other moderators to also ignore such questions or to direct users to
some page they may think is useful. The label 'moderator' may give the
impression that advice is 'official'.

2 - Matt, as the lead developer of WordPress are you prepared to stand
by every word of the documentation that covers security ?
If you are, great. Your advice on improving it would be welcome.
If you are not, I recommend that those pages in Codex are deleted.

P.