[theme-reviewers] Licensing question (GPLv2 vs GPLv3)

yulian yordanov yul.yordanov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 08:11:57 UTC 2013

Actually GPL2 and GPL3 are not compatible in the way you want to use them.
As Richard Stallman explains it: https://gnu.org/licenses/rms-why-gplv3.html
*When we say that GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible, it means there is no
legal way to combine code under GPLv2 with code under GPLv3 in a single
program.* *This is because both GPLv2 and GPLv3 are copyleft licenses: each
of them says, “If you include code under this license in a larger program,
the larger program must be under this license too.”

*
In other words, if you want to use some code with GPL2 your final product
have to be GPL2. It's a bit confusing though.

Fingli

2013/10/15 Afzaal <wordpress at thinkupthemes.com>

> Hello,
>
> I have submitted a theme and have the following in my theme which are
> licensed under GPLv2:
>
> - html5shiv (https://github.com/aFarkas/**html5shiv<https://github.com/aFarkas/html5shiv>
> )
> - Redux framework (http://reduxframework.com/)
>
> I've contacted the team that maintains html5shiv and they see no issue
> with using this with other products licensed under GPLv3. Infact they
> mention that they 'expect it's covered' as they understand GPLv3 to be an
> extention of GPLv2. (conversation over Twitter).
>
> In regards to Redux they allow complete freedom with how the framework is
> used, including the ability to fork it if someone chooses to do so.
>
> I'd really appreciate advice on if it's ok to use these products for a
> theme intended for GPLv3 release.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Afzaal

Yulian Yordanov