[theme-reviewers] Licensing question (GPLv2 vs GPLv3)

Afzaal wordpress at thinkupthemes.com
Tue Oct 15 07:43:28 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have submitted a theme and have the following in my theme which are
licensed under GPLv2:

- html5shiv (https://github.com/aFarkas/html5shiv)
- Redux framework (http://reduxframework.com/)

I've contacted the team that maintains html5shiv and they see no issue
with using this with other products licensed under GPLv3. Infact they
mention that they 'expect it's covered' as they understand GPLv3 to be
an extention of GPLv2. (conversation over Twitter).

In regards to Redux they allow complete freedom with how the framework
is used, including the ability to fork it if someone chooses to do so.

I'd really appreciate advice on if it's ok to use these products for a
theme intended for GPLv3 release.

Thanks,

Afzaal