[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #56280: Access denied to custom post type listing in admin when his submenu is empty

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jul 23 17:25:11 UTC 2022

#56280: Access denied to custom post type listing in admin when his submenu is
empty
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  luistar15       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)    |     Status:  new
Component:  Administration  |    Version:  6.0
 Severity:  major           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  administration  |
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 I created a custom post type and a custom role with capabilities only for
 the custom post type. Then I was trying to hide the submenu for the custom
 post type and leave only the main menu item, but when I do it, the user
 can't not longer access de page to view the custom post types or to add a
 new one.

 "Sorry, you are not allowed to access this page."

 Steps to reproduce:

 1. Add "Movies" Custom Post Type
 2. Hide "Movies" submenu (remove_submenu_page)
 3. Register "Movie Editor" role
 4. Create a user with "Movie Editor" role
 5. Login to the admin section as the new user
 6. Try to access the Movies page in the admin

 I build a plugin that shows the problem.
 https://gist.github.com/leo020588/c9b82883fc1b0275e0f46bf0b0ece083

 My reasoning for why this is a bug, is because the custom post type and
 the role have the right permissions, so even if the submenu is hidden it
 should possible to view the list of custom post types from the main menu
 which is still visible.

 Wordpress: 6.0.1