[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54939: When a block theme is active, add Site Editor link and notice to the Customizer UI

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Feb 5 20:18:31 UTC 2022

#54939: When a block theme is active, add Site Editor link and notice to the
Customizer UI
 Reporter:  ironprogrammer                       |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  new
  feedback has-patch i18n-change                 |  copy

Comment (by tobifjellner):

 So here are a couple of comments from "Polyglots" point of view.
 Previously (up until roughly one year ago) we were quite nervous about new
 strings, since the generation of a language package and a localized
 WordPress installation package had a threshold of 100% strings translated
 (and approved).
 In other words: Any one single string that got introduced (or changed)
 late in the process might cause several languages to "not getting
 released".

 Now, however, we have lowered these threshold values significantly: For
 the main project it's now 90% of the strings, and 75% for the Admin sub
 project (and 0% for Continents & Cities; and Network Admin).

 Of course, as much as possible, we want releases to be fully translated,
 especially strings that "normal users" may see.
 But in a comparison between "need for information and clarity" on the one
 hand, and problems with releasing localized versions on the other, we can
 now clearly say that language and clarity improvements are always welcome,
 even late in a release cycle and in minor releases.

 The downside, of course, is that if a string is not yet translated, the
 original string will be used, which may feel strange for some users.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54939#comment:13>