[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54088: Uploading media containing Norwegian letter å does not automatically readjust it to become aa.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Sep 9 15:58:21 UTC 2021

#54088: Uploading media containing Norwegian letter å does not automatically
readjust it to become aa.
------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  paaljoachim                   |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                  |      Status:  new

Comment (by knutsp):

 Replying to [comment:6 antpb]:
 > I need to do some more digging but an initial glance at the logic behind
 converting `å` is only turning it into `a`

 Some background:
 "å" does not stem from a ligature. The letter stems form Old Norse "á", a
 longer and darker form of the sound written as "a". Swedish has had it
 since the 16th century, Norwegian since 1917 and Danish since 1948. Danish
 still use "aa" in many geographical names (alternative, official
 spelling), but this is not the not the case in Norway and Sweden (only old
 family names).

 A few years ago there was a suggestion here on Trac to transliterate "å"
 to "aa" in slugs, instead of just "a" (as initially in WP). There was some
 opposition to this in Scandinavia, at least in Norway (advocated by me).
 Generally, but specially in the Norwegian variant Nynorsk, the has been a
 stronger opposition to use "aa" of "å". This is because in some words the
 next letter is also an "a", giving "aaa" on words like "Tåa" and "Åa". But
 also because it doesn't add readability and just becoming longer. So I
 say, at least as my personal opinion, keep it like that. We are uses to it
 and don't complain. Keep special for Danish.

 The main thing here and now is of course to make it work properly for
 filenames.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54088#comment:8>