[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54265: Updates UI: offer multiple variations of available updates nags to highlight older updates

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Oct 15 09:00:25 UTC 2021

#54265: Updates UI: offer multiple variations of available updates nags to
highlight older updates
 Reporter:  jeherve                  |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned
  design                             |  administration

Comment (by jeherve):

 Replying to [comment:4 pbiron]:
 > For some site admins this would probably just be seen as "noise", but I
 think for another class of admins this would be very useful.

 Yes, that can be tricky. Ideally, I think it should replace the existing
 notices, not add on top it. I see it as a redesign / refactor of the
 existing notices (which are always the same, regardless of how old /
 critical the update is) to provide additional information when possible.

 > * suppose a site is running v2.3 of `My Plugin` and the most recently
 released update is v2.4.  What we'd really need to know is **not** when
 v2.4 was released, but when the version **after** v2.3 was released (e.g.,
 v2.3.1) because what we'd want to convey is how out of date v2.3 is

 Indeed. We'd have to start from the version installed on the site, not
 just the latest release of the plugin.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54265#comment:5>