[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54265: Updates UI: offer multiple variations of available updates nags to highlight older updates

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 14 21:39:16 UTC 2021

#54265: Updates UI: offer multiple variations of available updates nags to
highlight older updates
 Reporter:  jeherve                  |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned
  design                             |  administration
Changes (by pbiron):

 * keywords:  shiny-updates => shiny-updates needs-design

Comment:

 For some site admins this would probably just be seen as "noise", but I
 think for another class of admins this would be very useful.

 That said, there will be some complications around implementing this:

 * suppose a site is running v2.3 of `My Plugin` and the most recently
 released update is v2.4.  What we'd really need to know is **not** when
 v2.4 was released, but when the version **after** v2.3 was released (e.g.,
 v2.3.1) because what we'd want to convey is how out of date v2.3 is
 * the Updates API can only **reliably** give us info on when an update was
 released for things hosted on .org.  Yes, premium plugins/themes ''could''
 provide that info when they hook into the API, but we couldn't rely on
 them doing so.  Which means we'd probably have to store a transient
 whenever an update becomes available (with the date/time that update was
 detected) and use that transient to determine that color coding

 Also, I've added the `needs-design` keyword.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54265#comment:4>