[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54221: _transient_dirsize_cache is set to autoload=yes and kills db performance if it grows (20MB in our case)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 5 19:40:13 UTC 2021

#54221: _transient_dirsize_cache is set to autoload=yes and kills db performance if
it grows (20MB in our case)
--------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  archon810     |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by archon810):

 Hi Ian,

 Correct, we're not using multisite, don't have object caching turned on
 via a plugin of some sort (though considering something like W3 Total
 Cache), and have probably over 2x that amount of folders by my calculation
 in the uploads dir.

 It's now been a day since I've checked on the transient and set it to
 autload=no, and its size is still the same 207221 elements. I sort of
 expected it to move by now, given that there are hundreds such directories
 created daily, so I'm not sure what's up with that, or if it'll flip back
 to autoload=yes next time it decides to update. When does that happen, by
 the way? How frequently or in what scenarios?

 Based on your other observations, what is the plan to fix this
 permanently? Should we add autoload=no support to `set_transient`?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54221#comment:3>