[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54410: GH Actions: Consider revising the Coding Standards actions to only scan modified files.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 17 12:43:14 UTC 2021

#54410: GH Actions: Consider revising the Coding Standards actions to only scan
modified files.
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  costdev           |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by costdev):

 @desrosj That's excellent news about the performance improvements!

 However, in terms of this ticket, performance wasn't the primary benefit
 of the suggested change. The primary benefit is that coding standards, or
 other coding failures, will no longer cause CI failures across the board
 because commits to core aren't fully checked before submitting.

 I agree that the information in the handbook surrounding commits should be
 followed, but one of the reasons that we have automated checks for tests
 and standards on PRs is because we accept that mistakes happen and we need
 to verify that everything is as it should be. However, commits to core
 don't have the same pre-merge enforcement of automated checks, otherwise
 they'd never make it into core.

 As @johnbillion said, the ideal is to focus on the root cause, so while
 the original proposal in this ticket would prevent failures spreading to
 GH pull requests, any implementation of automated checks for each workflow
 that run ''before'' merging to core would achieve the benefits that this
 ticket is advocating for. It would also reduce the number of manual checks
 that committers have to do before committing to core and therefore reduce
 the number of opportunities for mistakes to occur.

 Even a local helper script that committers can execute to run all of the
 tests/standards checks before they commit to core would reduce those
 separate steps to remember down to just one. It's even likely that many
 committers have already written such a script that could be adapted to the
 different environments/workflows.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54410#comment:8>