[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54410: GH Actions: Consider revising the Coding Standards actions to only scan modified files.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 10 21:13:03 UTC 2021

#54410: GH Actions: Consider revising the Coding Standards actions to only scan
modified files.
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  costdev           |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by costdev):

 Yes absolutely @desrosj, it's only a micro-optimization in terms of
 performance. The potential benefits that I see are strictly in terms of
 contributor and committer experience.

 In terms of the idea to use the cache that only runs on changed files, if
 this stops PRs failing due to coding standards errors in `trunk` then it's
 well worth exploring alongside the non-third party resource above!

 I agree that it's best to have autonomy where possible and practical, and
 this would certainly apply.

 By running only on modified files for PRs and running on the whole
 codebase for commits to `trunk`, this will ensure that coding standards
 are met in the whole codebase regardless of how it's merged.

 This is fortunate as the same can't be said for tests where we need to
 make sure that all tests pass rather than just the ones added in a PR
 (because the PR could be testing an existing class/method that other tests
 in the codebase rely on, so we need to make sure that its code doesn't
 break those tests).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54410#comment:3>