[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54410: GH Actions: Consider revising the Coding Standards actions to only scan modified files.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 10 20:46:19 UTC 2021

#54410: GH Actions: Consider revising the Coding Standards actions to only scan
modified files.
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  costdev           |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by desrosj):

 I discussed this a bit in Slack with @costdev the other day. Wanted to
 share my thoughts that were not included in the description above for
 transparency.

 This feels a bit like a micro-optimization to me. The PHPCS job in the
 Coding Standards workflow almost always takes less than 2 minutes, and
 sometimes, even less than one minute. Not to say we shouldn’t make this
 change, but it’s not going to be a high impact one.

 It's preferable to find a way to not require a third party action for
 this, if possible.

 An alternative idea I tossed around previously that we could look (I never
 investigated fully). Locally when you run phpcs, there’s a cache that
 makes subsequent runs lightning quick, skipping files that have not been
 changed. I’ve wondered in the past if we could store that cache between
 workflows, similar to how the NodeJS and Composer dependencies are cached
 between workflow runs.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54410#comment:2>