[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting cookies.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 4 16:21:42 UTC 2021

#44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting
cookies.
 Reporter:  jepperask                            |       Owner:
                                                 |  williampatton
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned
  note close                                     |

Comment (by jottevanger):

 Replying to [comment:51 johnbillion]:
 > That's a different discussion as it affects all the oEmbed providers
 that WordPress supports plus any embed that a user pastes into the site
 that supports oEmbed Discovery. The burden is on the site owner to ensure
 their privacy policy and cookie policy is accurate if they or their
 editors use such embeds. I'd be happy to see a separate ticket for that.

 I think if it's a different discussion & ticket then the discussion on
 this ticket needs to be about what the default WP behaviour should be, and
 it should be in favour of privacy/legality. That means YouTube should be a
 no-cookie embed by default; adding good controls to override this default
 can, as you say, be another ticket - in fact I can think of a lot of ways
 to tackle how this could work, both from the point of view of site owners
 having control over the default on their specific site, or connecting user
 consent or preferences to how an embed is rendered. But the WP default
 behaviour is crucial, and needs to favour non-tracking embeds for YouTube.

 And as I noted before, whilst there are of course considerations for what
 logged-in YT users might want, they can always click on a "no-cookie"
 embedded video and see it as a logged in user. This puts the control into
 their hands. Whereas the reverse is not true: if they are shown a cookie-
 carrying video first there is no way they can then opt out.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44610#comment:52>