[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53159: Media aren't attached if uploaded from libray and are attached if uploaded from post

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 5 19:56:53 UTC 2021

#53159: Media aren't attached if uploaded from libray and are attached if uploaded
from post
-------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  ellimstom                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  new
Changes (by desrosj):

 * keywords:   => reporter-feedback close
 * component:  General => Media

Comment:

 Hi @ellimstom,

 Welcome to Trac!

 Can you clarify whether you are using the block editor or the Classic
 Editor? I am able to reproduce the behavior, but only using the block
 editor.

 If you are indeed using the block editor, this will need to be reported as
 an issue upstream in the [https://github.com/wordpress/gutenberg Gutenberg
 GitHub repository]. I'm adding a suggestion to `close` this ticket as
 `reported-upstream` pending that confirmation.

 I did some digging to see if this was intentional, and I couldn't find
 anything. I'm going to link several related items though:
 - https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/1586: Fixed a bug where
 images were not attached to a post when uploaded directly to them (fixed
 in https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/6231).
 - [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/14480 This issue] seems
 to have identified this bug, but because another bug was also identified,
 it was accidentally closed.

 It's worth noting that originally, the attached status just signified that
 an image was uploaded to a post, so `post_thumbnails` and attachments
 embedded in posts can inconsistently be attached/unattached in ways that
 make technical sense, but the attached/unattached relationship has grown
 over time and has become quite confusing and inconsistent.

 This behavior was initially introduced into the Classic Editor in [22843].

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53159#comment:1>