[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53432: Fatal error during update to 5.8 of a site with an active Gutenberg plugin (version less than 10.7)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jun 18 12:18:05 UTC 2021

#53432: Fatal error during update to 5.8 of a site with an active Gutenberg plugin
(version less than 10.7)
----------------------------------------------+----------------------------
 Reporter:  oglekler                          |       Owner:
                                              |  hellofromTonya
     Type:  defect (bug)                      |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by hellofromTonya):

 Replying to [comment:10 azaozz]:
 > Thinking it may be good to show a warning that the plugin has been
 disabled. Looking at how that may work, seems it would need to get
 triggered on the next run, so perhaps saving something in the DB and
 having a function to show it once. Can possibly add a bit to the Plugins
 list table to show a notice when a plugin has been auto-disabled, but
 perhaps consider it for 5.9 :)

 > For the future seems the best UX would be to interrupt the core upgrade
 when there is an incompatible plugin. Then tell the user (and/or send
 email) to either update or uninstall the plugin before upgrading core.

 I agree it would be a better user experience than silently deactivating
 the plugin. How about if that work is moved to a new ticket?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53432#comment:12>