[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52534: PHP 8: wp_localize_script() throws a warning if third parameter is a string.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Feb 22 12:59:41 UTC 2021

#52534: PHP 8: wp_localize_script() throws a warning if third parameter is a
string.
 Reporter:  peterwilsoncc                        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  new
Changes (by jrf):

 * keywords:  php8 has-patch has-unit-tests => php8 has-patch has-unit-tests
     dev-reviewed commit
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 5.7

Comment:

 > I think this is safe to go in to 5.7 but as the first RC is only a
 couple of days away, could one of you sign off on that.

 IMO, between the three of us, we came up with a clean solution to the
 issue. The current patch is ready to be committed and doesn't contain any
 functional changes, nor BC-breaks and has tests which confirm that.

 It does add a `_doing_it_wrong()` notice, but that only shows up when devs
 were ''already'' doing it wrong and "doing it wrong" notices only show
 when `WP_DEBUG` is turned on, so would not show with the default (end-
 user) `WP_DEBUG` settings.

 I also think this patch is a candidate for backporting to the 5.6 branch
 as it relates to a PHP warning.

 @peterwilsoncc Just checking: is there any specific keyword I need to add
 for the "second committer sign-off"? I can't seem to find the docs about
 it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/52534#comment:14>