[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53048: PHPMailer uses hardcoded default sender mail address, preventing mail to be sent

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Apr 21 10:50:12 UTC 2021

#53048: PHPMailer uses hardcoded default sender mail address, preventing mail to be
sent
--------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  vinc17        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed

Comment (by vinc17):

 Note that the admin of the website is not necessarily the same as the
 admin in charge of e-mail. So it is important to get instructions at
 WordPress installation time or at least technical information. I thought
 that the WordPress installation was complete after following the
 instructions, but this actually wasn't the case, and I wasn't aware of
 that. In the WordPress general settings, there is an admin e-mail address,
 but it is not used as the default From address, so that this is
 surprising. One could also expect that the (Unix) login is used for the
 e-mail address, as this is the default for various tools (so that it
 should have worked). So, since WordPress uses something specific, it
 should have documented it.

 Note also that there are good reasons to reject non-existing e-mail
 addresses, e.g. to limit phishing attempts or to detect MUA
 misconfigurations. Moreover, using wordpress@ is a bad idea because there
 may be multiple WordPress installations (with different admins) at this
 domain, and they shouldn't share the same address. Troubleshooting tips
 available on the web are not satisfactory in general (at least those I've
 found); they do not replace instructions.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53048#comment:7>