[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51642: Application Passwords option not showing up on localhost on the user profile page

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 27 12:19:00 UTC 2020

#51642: Application Passwords option not showing up on localhost on the user
profile page
 Reporter:  tijmensmit    |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  REST API      |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 A call is made to wp_is_application_passwords_available() in the user-
 edit.php to see if the option should be shown or not. This is true if SSL
 is used, or if the current environment is 'local' according to
 wp_get_environment_type().

 On my localhost wp_get_environment_type() returns 'production' while it's
 actually 'local' resulting in the application passwords option not showing
 up ( no SSL available ).

 This is the path that shows up in the URL bar in my browser
 'http://localhost/wordpress56/'

 Don't know if it's related, but 'WP_ENVIRONMENT_TYPE' is also empty for
 me, which is checked in the wp_get_environment_type() code.

 I'm using xampp with PHP 7.3 and WordPress 5.6 Beta 1 on my local machine.