[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51742: Core auto-updates UI: disable checkbox when filter or constant takes precedent on the option

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 12 19:31:14 UTC 2020

#51742: Core auto-updates UI: disable checkbox when filter or constant takes
precedent on the option
----------------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  audrasjb                          |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)                      |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by helen):

 Some general notes from me on strings here (which I can also update a
 patch for):

 1. I would like for strings to refer to "this site" intsead of "your
 site". This mirrors some other string changes that have been made to
 reflect that many admins have multiple sites and that a given site might
 not be "theirs".
 2. I do not think that it makes sense to refer to "major" or "feature"
 releases. Even I'm confused about this means in the context of the
 WordPress admin - it only makes sense to me as a core developer.
 3. For the purposes of these strings, there are 3 states: all core
 autoupdates on, minor autoupdates on, no autoupdates on. Filter/constant
 usage means removing the action link.
 4. I think there are actually two places where a string can show - at the
 top where it has the check again link under the heading, and within the
 update available section below. For the upper one, I would like this to be
 a statement about what is enabled and with a clear action link. For the
 lower one, I think this could be more of a conversational "would you like
 to change this to X" type of string.
 5. Per the above, these are my suggestions which were in the doc but I
 think overlooked because there was a lot going on:

 **Top string, all updates on:**

 {{{
 This site is automatically kept up-to-date with each new version of
 WordPress. <a>Switch to automatic updates for maintenance and security
 release only</a>
 }}}

 **Top string, minor updates on:**
 {{{
 This site is automatically kept up-to-date with maintenance and security
 releases of WordPress. <a>Enable automatic updates for all new versions of
 WordPress</a>
 }}}

 **Top string, no updates on (this can only be done in code so no action
 link)**
 {{{
 This site will not receive automatic updates for new versions of
 WordPress.
 }}}

 **Admin notice after turning on major updates:**
 {{{
 Automatic updates for all WordPress versions have been enabled. Thank you!
 }}}

 **Admin notice after turning off major updates:**
 {{{
 WordPress will only receive automatic security and maintenance releases
 from now on.
 }}}

 For the lower update section, I think we would only want to show an action
 link to enable automatic updates going forward as an additional prompt.
 This could read:
 {{{
 You can also <a>enable automatic updates for all version of WordPress</a>
 from now on.

Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51742#comment:31>