[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50404: Provide language pack update information in auto-updates email notifications

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 17 20:40:28 UTC 2020

#50404: Provide language pack update information in auto-updates email
notifications
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  knutsp             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  new
Changes (by desrosj):

 * keywords:   => close 2nd-opinion

Comment:

 I'm inclined to say that this is out of scope for the first iteration of
 the auto-update UI, and possibly even plugin territory.

 There is currently no UI for a user to enable/disable language pack
 updates. They are applied automatically when present at the same time as
 an update to the plugin/theme that they belong to is performed, but I do
 not believe that language pack updates are automatically installed
 otherwise (unless a filter is used to enable this behavior).

 While this could be helpful for some, I think for the majority of users
 will not need to know that the language packs updated with plugins and
 themes. It should just work (and it does with a very high success rate),
 and it's in the user's best interest that they are installed at the same
 time as plugin and theme updates.

 If core did add support for this, I would say including this information
 in the emails should be off by default. It also introduces a new scenario
 where only language packs are updated.

 I'll leave this open for more feedback, but I think a `maybelater`
 resolution is appropriate.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/50404#comment:1>