[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50404: Provide language pack update information in auto-updates email notifications

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jun 16 18:43:04 UTC 2020

#50404: Provide language pack update information in auto-updates email
notifications
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  knutsp           |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement      |     Status:  new
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 When doing updates from `update-core.php`, or when using common auto-
 update plugins, I can see that also language packs get update, for which
 plugin/theme and for what language(s), on the page or in the email
 notification.

 This reminds me of three things:
 1. That such updates actually happens (even if it's not an UI option to
 turn them off)
 2. Which plugins/themes that have got a text update. I sometimes take look
 at the changes, reviewing the quality, on site first, then at .org.
 3. Which languages I have installed. This important, because this list is
 quite well hidden. Sometimes I discover that unnecessary language packs
 are installed. (To remove them is another story/ticket.)

 With auto-updates this information is gone, and will stay unseen, as long
 as one stops manually updating, which is the main point of this feature.

 This not just a bit sad (nostalgia), but makes it harder to discover that
 sites gets bloated with packs for all plugins, all themes, for languages
 no longer in use or needed as option for users. They are so easy to get
 in, but hard to remove.

 I see no harm in adding this, like "Advanced Automatic Updates" do today.